European Public Health WEEK
22-26 May 2023
Public health: Global issues, local actions
Thursday 25 May - Prevention and control of chronic diseases
Striving towards a healthy society requires further action to tackle the determinants of chronic or non communicable diseases (NCDs). As we know that many of them are caused by the same common risk factors, prevention remains a highly efficient way to tackle the issue. In addition, as our populations are ageing, we must accept and prepare our systems for people who are going to live with NCDs and often multi morbidity, which demands a different angle of care. Among NCDs, cancers are a major source of concern and require specific interventions and policies to decrease the overall burden of disease. Long COVID seems to also add considerably to the burden of chronic disease. Much is to be learned yet about the condition itself and how to best treat it.
These are sub themes to give you ideas and to stimulate your imagination. They do not limit the scope of the day themes. If you are having doubts on which day you should organise your event, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org: our team will be happy to help you.
- Enabling healthy lives through addressing the wider determinants of health
- Healthy cities: urban planning for health
- The commercial determinants of health and their role in NCDs
- Nutrition as a prevention and control tool for NCDs
- NCDs prevention starts early: educating younger people
- Effective and timely cancer screening
- How to tackle the physical inactivity epidemic
- Vaccination for vaccine-preventable cancers
- The impact of COVID-19 on chronic conditions
- Long COVID
- Behavioural science and chronic diseases
- The role of policy in chronic disease prevention
- Raising awareness of the harmful effects of vaping and other nicotine products
- There’s no safe use of alcohol
Do you want to get involved in this theme?
Is 'Prevention and control of chronic diseases' a theme that appeals to you?
Whether you are an institution, a health professional or an ordinary citizen interested in one of this theme, you may organise your own event(s). Submit your event here.
If you are unable to organise your own event, spreading the word is also hugely important. Have a look at the media toolkit to share the message of the European Public Health Week 2023.
Of course you can also join one or more of the activities and events. By participating, you will get interesting insights and contribute to the success of event hosts!